I don’t know about you but when the weathers a little lousy I tend to crave warming spices such as cinnamon. Cinnamon is one of those spices that elicits lifelong memories of moms apple pie 🙂
Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known and has long been used for its many medicinal purposes:
- Most commonly, cinnamon has been used to manage blood glucose levels as well as triglyceride and cholesterol levels, which are concerns for those with type II diabetes. Sprinkling cinnamon on higher carb foods will help minimize the spike in blood sugar after eating.
- Properties in cinnamon (cinnaldehyde) have also been proven to prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets thus helping lower blood pressure.
- The common comforting scent has been shown to increase cognitive function making cinnamon the perfect afternoon pick me up when your feeling that 3:00 slump.
- In addition to being a glucose moderator, anti-clotter, and brain function enhancer, cinnamon’s essential oils are also recognized as an antibacterial agent. The essential oils are able to stop the growth of bacterial as well as fungi, making cinnamon the perfect Candida remedy.
With all these amazing benefits your probably wondering how you can incorporate more cinnamon in your life. My go too’s are:
- Sprinkled on slices of apple
- Sprinkled on my morning hot cereal
- Sprinkled on my morning almond butter, raw honey, banana toast
- Added to my smoothies
- Added to any baked good
- Sprinkled on top of your morning coffee (cinnamon helps minimize blood sugar spike as a result of the caffeine)
Or… you could make my delish paleo, gluten free honey almond butter cinnamon rolls. These are not your traditional doughy rolls but instead a delicious crisp roll, I promise you, they are equally as good.
Almond butter honey cinnamon rolls:
- 2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp almond butter +1 tbsp almond butter (in filling)
- 1 Tbsp non dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp Honey (In Dough) 3 tbsp Honey (In Filling)
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon (In Dough) 2 Tbsps Cinnamon (In Filling)
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Tbsps Ground Flax Seed
Mix dry ingredients together, mix wet together, add wet to dry and stir until a dough forms. Shape into a ball with your hands and place in fridge for about 30 mins. After 30 minutes, roll out dough on a piece of greased wax paper into a thin square. Cut dough into 5 long strips, mix the 1 tbsp almond butter and 3 tbsp honey together and drizzle on top of the cut dough. Sprinkle heavily with 2 tbsps of cinnamon before tightly rolling each strip. The dough is quite sticky and easily breaks, just be sure to squeeze the dough tightly together so it sticks together. Once the strips are all rolled up you can either bake them as is or cut them in half to make mini rolls. I baked these up in a greased muffin tin at 350 for about 25 minutes.
There are endless possibilities for the filling… I’m thinking basil, sundried tomato and goat cheese next… I’ll keep you posted 🙂
Hope you enjoy these little treats as much as we did.
Taffy says hi 🙂